Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Final Movie Blog

12. Freaks: This film really aggravated me and it was rather hard to watch. However, Browning's ability to utilize real actors for a film like Freaks was impressive to me.
11.Killer of Sheep: This film was a bit too slow moving for my enjoyment, but I did respect the film for what it was. The historical context used was pretty fascinating.
10.Awara: This film was a bit too long for me and just wasn't my type of film. I did, however, enjoy the effect the music had on the plot.
9. Sherlock Jr.: I have not seen too many silent/ black and white films in my days, but this film really proved to me that through the use of slapstick humour and other cinematographic strategies a silent film can be just as entertaining, if not more, than contemporary films.
8. Detour: This was another black and white film that impressed me. The strong female characters kept this one entertaining for me.
7. Wendy and Lucy: Although this film was rather slow moving, I was impressed as to how much I enjoyed it. After discussion in class, I realized that this film actually is a chick-flick. After this realization, I appreciated the film more because of its non traditional take on the "chick-flick" genre.
6. My Own Private Idaho: This was no Brokeback Mountain in my opinion. Gus Van Sant's use of Shakespeare really intrigued me and I felt like this film incorporated some very realistic scenarios.
5. Vanishing: I thought the cinematography in this film was excellent. The final scene where Raymond watches his family go about doing their daily business right above the dead bodies was truly a fascinating piece of film.
4. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: My grandfather and I used to always watch Western films when I was younger so I was pretty excited to see this film on the list. Although very long, I thoroughly enjoyed this film, and it is hard not to enjoy Clint Eastwood's presence.
3. Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?: Having seen this film once before, my appreciation for the Coen brother's grew even more. Music is a big part of my life so a film that is surrounded by good tunes always has a special place in my heart.
2. End of Watch: I thought David Ayer chose a very unique style of filmmaking in End of Watch. This film really gave me a different perspective on working in the police force. I also didn't feel like this movie was the typical buddy cop film.
1. Moonrise Kingdom: This was my favorite film we watched during this course. Wes Anderson continued his good rep with this one. The interesting and creative shots kept me entertained.

1 comment: