Thursday, January 16, 2014

Sherlock Jr. Reaction

I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed this short film. Having not watched too many black and white films I was not really sure what my reaction was going to be. Personally, the visual gags were really what made this movie both comedic and entertaining to me. Sherlock Jr. was filled with funny gags that would often times be categorized as slapstick. One example that gave me a laugh would be when the protagonist attempted a classic prank by trying to trip the antagonist with a banana peel, and failed miserably I might add. This was especially funny because I have been playing a good amount of Mario Kart during my time in college. Also, the pool scene had me laughing simply because of the facial expressions the two antagonists were making. In my opinion, the gags are what made the film so entertaining. Although I do love watching awesome animated films that we have today, it is always a pleasant experience to watch a silent comedy and see how far filmmaking has really come over the past century. Also, I was impressed with some of the filming techniques that were used throughout this film. The one scene in particular that really caught my eye was when the protagonist jumped through the woman’s stomach in an attempt to lose the antagonists. I really enjoyed this film and I hope to continue to build a silent comedy vocabulary over this semester.

-Jake

No comments:

Post a Comment