Thursday, February 27, 2014

Vanishing Interpretation

   I would not consider The Vanishing a horror film primarily because I was never really scared. However, I do think this film contains some elements of the horror genre such as the uneasy emotions felt throughout the film and the antagonist, Raymond. Raymond is a twisted and frightening character who could very easily play a role in a horror film, but I did not find him to be very scary in The Vanishing. It was curiosity rather than being scared that had me on the edge of my seat throughout the film and that is my main reason for categorizing The Vanishing as a suspense/ thriller film.

   One scene in particular that helped me come to my conclusion is the last scene when Rex gets buried. Typically, I feel like I would be pretty frightened to watch a man get buried alive like that, but I really just felt anxious during that final scene. I think the anticipation I felt came from the fact that I thought and I wanted Rex to find a way out. The final scene was not an easy scene to watch, but nevertheless, I was never truly scared during this film.


No comments:

Post a Comment